Sunday, June 21, 2015

Kharmic Rebound: A Funny, Full of Errors Book That is Still Enjoyable



I am an Independent Author who specializes in Science Fiction and Fantasy. Just wrote my first book! (CERBERUS: From Hatred Born) 

My Website: www.jycalcano.com
My Twitter: @JYCalcanoauthor Twitter Account Page
My Goodreads: http://tinyurl.com/GoodreadsCerberus
My Facebook: Facebook
Blog: http://www.jycalcano.blogspot.com
============================================



   Kharmic Rebound by Aaron Lee Yeager

   http://tinyurl.com/ot7ow55
   http://tinyurl.com/nztj97l

   Format: Light Novel
   Publishing House: None. Independent Author.
   Genre: Romantic Comedy, Scifi, Harem, Slice of Life
   Target audience: Teenagers & Young Adults








   This is a HUGE book of around 900 kindle pages (Approximately: 222k words). It is written in the style of a Light Novel, with a very sporadic image that provides visual representation for the story.


   Gerald Dyson is a young priest that suffers from bad luck.

----------------------------- (from the book blurb) -----------------------------

    When the Galaxy Central Computer malfunctions for the first time in history, and sends Gerald a scholarship to the prestigious Central Exeter law school, and when a handful of alien beauties start to take interest in him, he wonders if his luck might be changing for the better. But, a mafia heiress, a soul-sucking demon, a huntress who eats humans, are these really the kinds of girls you want to be obsessed with you?

    Has Gerald's luck ... begun to change?

-----------------------------(from the book blurb) -----------------------------


   If the blurb made you want to leave, I say STOP! Yes, I see the punctuation mistakes but we are all amateurs at some point. Heck, I’m an amateur too! Don’t hold it against both of us! Solidarity between newbs! (Even though he's my elder in writing by a few years).

   Gerald Dyson is one of the most Tenchi Muyo characters that I have ever read. Gerald’s bad luck is extreme, perverse, unfair, and persistent. I enjoyed it!

   The character is written as an extremely physically weak individual with a will of steel and mountains of kindness. That combination of stubborn dedication to others and blasé attitude makes Gerald a pillar of strength in the face of adversity.

   As the romantic comedy develops, the author explores many social problems: wealth inequality, corruption in the government, corruption in religious organizations, social prejudice, racism, addiction, etcetera.... Each of the alien Harem characters represents a different culture or social problem. In addition, each of these female aliens has an EXTREME conflict point that Gerald had to resolve or adapt to. All of the ladies are much stronger (in the manga sense) than Gerald Dyson. They could snuff him out in an instant. I truly enjoyed the difference in roles. There is so much ridiculous comedy in this story that I sometimes burst out laughing fit to tears. Good storytelling.

   The comedy is light and enjoyable without becoming crass. The reader won’t find swear words. The story follows the usual genre conflicts between the lady characters, but these manage to entertain with their light-hearted hilarity.

   Some might say the book could use help with style, spelling mistakes, and editing mistakes. If those truly bother you, skip the book. The book has the most needed essential: the storytelling spark.

   As a $3 book with 900+ pages of content, I find this book quite rewarding for those interested in the genres.



I am an Independent Author who specializes in Science Fiction and Fantasy. Just wrote my first book! (CERBERUS: From Hatred Born) 

My Website: www.jycalcano.com
My Twitter: @JYCalcanoauthor Twitter Account Page
My Goodreads: http://tinyurl.com/GoodreadsCerberus
My Facebook: Facebook
Blog: http://www.jycalcano.blogspot.com
============================================

No comments:

Post a Comment