Saturday, May 30, 2015

My First Novel is on Pre-Sale on Amazon.com!




Why do I add the exclamation point at the end of that title? Because I’m excited. This is a milestone moment for me. Let me tell you, very quickly, about the journey of this book.

Back in December 2014, I thought I had a great book. Nevertheless, thinking to improve it, I contacted Red Adept Publishing for some editing work. They accepted my book on the very LAST day of January 2015, which translated to the month of February for practical purposes. By February 20, the book came back with eight HUNDRED content edit critical observations.

*GASP*

I breathed deeply, put on my big boy pants, and went to work. By March 27, I had radically altered the book. I took every single critique and followed it to the best of my ability. The book went back to Red Adept’s editing services on April 3, 2015 for line edits. The back and forth line edits finalized by May 18, 2015.

At that time, the book moved into its proofreading phase and off it went again. The proofreading process ended on May 26, 2015. I read the book and found MORE errors the proofreader did not find, but also accept the fact that enough was enough. Time to risk it.

Thus, with a kindle generator program, I put the book on Pre-sale. Release date is June 26, 2015.

Why pre-sale?

Mostly because I want to check the kindle formatting, add links to websites and such, but am not willing for my book to remain invisible through that process. I want people to see it for marketing purposes.

You see, I don’t need my book to sell (Though I really want it too. Haha!).  Most books only sell 250 copies, and that’s that. They disappear into the nether. Thus, I’ve taken a more logical and professional approach. This novel is a platform building volume. I am using it to help put my name out there and open doors into the world of publishing. I can say to people “Hey, I’m an author.” My foot is in the door, as they say. The idea now is to hopefully appeal to a few people, and continue to market myself as my 2nd book (already written) goes into the editing process. With this novel, I can now go to writing seminars, talk about my self-publishing experiences, compare notes, and even learn from the big boys and girls of publishing.

You see, being an author is NOT about the “One Hit Wonder” it’s about continuous output. Don’t stop producing. Don’t stop showing people your work.

I hope my growing fan base allows me that opportunity.

Writing is what I want to do. I want to tell stories for the rest of my life. This is it.

Thank you for reading.

-J. Y. Calcano

No comments:

Post a Comment